Sunday, July 28, 2013

Regional Coordinator Profile



I thought you’d like to know a little bit about the people who “grease the wheels” behind the scenes for the Quilts of Valor Foundation.  These volunteers are the lifeblood of the group and provide invaluable assistance to QOV groups in their Regions.  The profile we feature this post is of Betsy Morris, a Region 8 Coordinator.  Region 8 covers AL, FL, GA, NC, SC and TN.


My name is Betsy Morris. I am honored to be the Regional Coordinator for North Florida.  I live in the very center of the state, in a very small, rural community called Clay Sink, which was pioneered and settled by my father’s family in the mid 1800’s.  Our “hometown” was Dade City, about 35 miles north of Tampa, where we shopped and attended school.
 
My paternal grandmother was a quilter and I am blessed to have one of her quilts.  My mother, who is still with us at 97, is a sewer, not so much a quilter, but a wonderful sewer and loves to piece the quilt tops.  She made our clothes when we were small and as she got older began making quilts for all the family I have always had a love for textiles and for quilts.  I do sew and quilt, however, my quilts would probably be judged as folk art rather than fine art.  It is the process that is as comforting as the end product, for me.

I am a realtor by profession, a part owner of our company, and these days are both very exciting and trying at times in this arena.  I came across the Quilts of Valor program when it aired on the local PBS station and it really spoke to me.  Couldn’t get it out of my mind.  I sent an email asking how to get involved, and here I am.  Quilts of Valor program has impressed me in many ways, but, I think most in that there are so many hands, from beginning to end, from so many different parts of the country, who come together, some never having known each other before, to create a beautiful quilt to send to a soldier they never met.  What a generous spirit.  I am preparing to make my first presentation on Veteran’s Day.  I can’t think of anything more appropriate.

In my personal life, I am wife, mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, niece, closely involved with a huge family.  My husband and children are so impressed with the Quilts of Valor Foundation and think it is a wonderful way to show appreciation to our soldiers.  How could I not participate in such an honorable tribute to the men and women who make this life possible for us?  Our families have been touched by wars over the years, as have many.  We have been blessed to have soldiers return home safely from wars, some bearing scars, both visible and unseen, some with medals of valor that we never knew about, and, we’ve lost some in battles, never to return.  Sadly, our family is not unique in that service or sacrifice.  Quilts of Valor gives us the opportunity, in whatever venue, to share our love and support, not only for the soldier but for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment